Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chapter Eleven - Advertising

1. For my good advertisements I choose a free credit report.com commercial and an PSA about watching your kids at the pool. The first one is good because it has a catchy tune that is easy to remember and it a commercial that is enjoyable to watch. The second ad is good because it gets the message across very clearly. It has the shock factor and is very convincing.
For the bad ads I chose a Carl's Jr. ad and a commercial for a car dealer ship. The first is an example of a bad ad because I don't think it is effective. I don't like the Carl's Jr. commercials because I think they are gross and messy. The second ad is a commercial for a car lot and it is very cheesy. The actors are probably trying to make a fun and cool commercial but it doesn't work out that way. The commercial made me think about more how cheesy I thought it was rather then the product they were trying to promote. For both ads I thought about how much I dislike them when I saw them then about the products.


2. I think advertising is very effective. If it wasn't, then why would companies spent millions or billions of dollars advertising their products? Advertising gets the word out about products and all the reasons to buy them. Many advertisements have catchy jingles or lines that get stuck in your head like the freecreditreport.com commercials, or the Kit Kat commercials "break me off a piece of that kit kat bar!" Then there's Tony the Tiger and the Frosted Flakes cereal that tastes "Grrrrreeeaat!" and several others.
Advertisements can be very persuasive. I have been influenced by advertisements several times. For example, after I saw the trailer for Dark Knight I really wanted to see it. It looked so good to me that I bought tickets to the midnight showing with my friends. This has been true for other films I've seen in theaters. On the other hand, the commercials for Carl's Jr. have turned me away from that fast food restaurant. I don't like the commercials, it looks gross to me and so I never go to there to eat. It does not have any appeal to me.

No comments:

The Credit Report.com commercials

Example of Bad Ad