Monday, October 20, 2008

Chapter Six - Newspapers

Metropolitain papers are shutting down because there are many other sources where people can get the same information. It is similar to the situation with magazines, in orider to survive they had to specialize. Community papers on the other have a direct focus (the community) and a very specific target audience. The community papers give information and news that has a more direct impact on its readers. At my home our community paper is called the Orem Times. This paper talks about different school events, local concerts, interesing human interest pieces, and advertisements for local stores. The information I can find in there cannot be found in any other paper. This is why commuinity papers are succeeding.

When I looked at the Deseret News I was suprised by the contrast of hard news and soft news. I counted 18 articles that I considered hard news and 46 that I considered soft news. I'm not sure if that was entirely accurate or if I counted some hard news as soft news. Most of the hard news had to do with the upcoming election and President Bush as well. The soft news talked about Halloween and pumkin carving.

No comments:

The Credit Report.com commercials

Example of Bad Ad